28 Jun How to Reverse Infertility Naturally
Infertility is a growing problem in the United States. A survey conducted by the CDC found that 1.5 million married women in the United States (6%) are infertile. Additionally, the survey found that twenty-five percent of infertile couples have more than one factor that contributes to their infertility.
Many look at infertility as a “death sentence” in their desire to have children and resort to IVF or adoption before they look at naturally fixing this imbalance in their own bodies. Not all cases of infertility are permanent or irreversible. To better understand how to reverse infertility naturally in those cases, let’s take a look at why infertility is so widespread in the United States:
1. Environment. For those of us who live in metro areas and the surrounding suburbs, we do not breathe the cleanest air. In addition to fumes, we are breathing in mass-sprayed pesticides, tobacco smoke, and more. These components interact with us on a cellular level and can affect our hormones and organs, the health and balance of which are vital for a healthy pregnancy. While we cannot always move away to a farm, understanding this factor can help you in combating its effects, which we discuss later in the article.
2. Food. Processed foods are everywhere and they are changing us from the inside out. It is true that what you eat is what you are. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to find “real” food, especially if you do not know how to read labels. For instance, did you know that there are four “Organic” labels based on the percentage of organic ingredients present in the food?
3. Skin care. Many people are waking up to the food revolution, but few are looking at the ingredients in their toothpastes, creams and shampoos. According to Environmental Working Group (EWG), women in the U.S. apply an average of 126 unique chemicals to their faces and bodies every day.
4. Lifestyle. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), approximately 18% of U.S. adults suffer from anxiety disorders. These stem from a range of causes, most commonly work-related stress and the inability of dealing with it properly.
So, how do we reverse infertility?
When healthy, our bodies are in balance and have the necessary resources to fight off illness. However, when we lack one or more of those resources or are otherwise affected by something that throws us off balance, our bodies are susceptible to it. Other bodily functions, including fertility work the same way. Ladies, have you ever had your period when you shouldn’t or missed it for months at a time? This is your body’s way of saying, “Hey, something’s off, so I’m going to put this off for a while. Let’s get back in balance.”
Your body is very smart and you should give it more credit by listening to what it is telling you. When it is not capable of handling something as energy-consuming and important as supporting a pregnancy, your body will shut off that function. This is an oversimplification of what actually goes on, but the principle is the same. Getting your body in balance and in optimal health naturally is best done with the guidance of a professional, such as a Naturopathic Doctor. You may find a trusted practitioner near you here. Depending on your individual situation, you will need to focus on the following.
1. Environment. Do you work or live in an area where the air is especially polluted? Are you often around people who smoke even though you do not? Assessing your environment and the possible issues it is causing will give you the first hints at the input your body is constantly receiving.
2. Food. Remove processed foods from your diet and learn how to properly read labels. Nutrition facts only tell you (some of) the nutrient contents in the food, not the ingredients that actually go into the food. If there is a name of an ingredient in your favorite food that you do not know, look it up and learn about any potential dangers it can cause to your health.
3. Skin care. Be aware of what you are putting on your body. To make it easier, EWG’s Skin Deep database, which is also an app, has a vast list of products that are evaluated based on the chemicals they have in them and what threat those chemicals pose to your body.
4. Lifestyle. Stress is the real killer. If you have anxiety or stress, it doesn’t mean you have to quit your high-powered position just yet. You may just need to learn techniques that help you better deal with anxiety and stress. Getting enough sleep and exercise should be on the top of your list as, in addition to proper nutrition, they are the top factors in your body’s regulatory system.